Co-operative social care comes to the fore

I’ve had a busy week reading the abstracts and proposals for the Co-operative College Education Conference next year. April 2017 may seem like a long way off, but I know it will soon be upon us! I’m keen to learn more about each of the brief abstracts I’ve read so far, both on subjects I’m familiar with and those that are completely new to me. So far I’m impressed by the range of potential sessions, and am also hoping to contribute to the conference myself with a paper based on the findings of the College’s upcoming research into social care co-operatives.

On the subject of social care, our colleagues at Co-operatives UK had an interesting article published in the Guardian last week on co-operative social care, focusing on how much more meaningful social care can be when it is more directly accountable to care recipients, their families and care workers. The article also highlighted another interesting report from James Scott of the Co-operative Party on their vision for social care in England entitled ‘Taking Care’. I would thoroughly recommend both of these pieces if you are interested in the future of social care in the UK and would like to find out more about the potentially important role co-operatives can play in ensuring we have a social care sector which is fit for purpose, provides quality individualised care, promotes dignity and respect, and is equitable and sustainable.

Over the next few months I’m looking forward to meeting and talking to people involved in new and emerging social care cooperatives to find out more about them, looking at what types of people and organisations are involved as members and the challenges and barriers they may have faced and overcome.

There’s still time to submit a paper or panel/workshop proposal for the 2017 Co-operative College Education Conference! The deadline for submissions is now 25 November, for more information please click here.

There are 0 comment(s)

To view further comments and reply please login or register.